From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: remove sci-geosciences/googleearth from the tree
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 08:42:37
1 On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 01:26:25 +0200
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Afaiu pmasks are rather meant for
5 > a) new, very hot versions of libraries/tools that can break your
6 > system in more than one part
7 > b) security masks, temporary masks and other masks we expect to remove
8 > in the future
9
10 You can just summarize all possible reasons, by "does not work well";
11 and that's exactly what google-earth falls under as well. So, just go
12 mask it; and as we don't want to remove it just yet we can delay the
13 decision to last rite the package for later. Before we last rite, has
14 anyone tried to collaborate with upstream about their packaging style?
15
16 > And I said more than once that we can probably move it to science-overlay.
17
18 Overlays aren't the problem here, they'll follow automatically; even
19 with just the mask in place, I think there are people that are going to
20 try to provide it more easily anyway. And the use of a lot of overlay
21 packages isn't really a problem, when said person has a small overlay.
24 With kind regards,
25
26 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
27 Gentoo Developer
28
29 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
30 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
31 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D