From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Deprecation of python_version(), python_mod_exists(), python_tkinter_exists(), distutils_python_version() and distutils_python_tkinter() in EAPI <=2
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 18:40:42
In Reply to: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Deprecation of python_version(), python_mod_exists(), python_tkinter_exists(), distutils_python_version() and distutils_python_tkinter() in EAPI <=2 by Peter Hjalmarsson
1 Peter Hjalmarsson posted on Fri, 05 Mar 2010 10:54:23 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > I have start to question why should we care about overlays more then the
4 > actual portage tree?
5 >
6 > Take for example the kernel or Xorg.
7 > They give themselves a period of time to clean up their own code (i.e.
8 > kernel-modules, xorg-drivers) and then they release it as stable and
9 > tell users/distributors to upgrade.
10 > They do not wait for nVidia/AMD/other out-of-tree drivers/modules to
11 > catch up.
12 >
13 > Now if we say we have someone managing an overlay, and this person do
14 > miss this warning/die for half an year, then I would say they have nott
15 > done their homework and they are on their own. I do not see why we
16 > should wait unreasonable long periods of time because there may be
17 > someone broken somewhere.
18
19 While I didn't mention overlays in my earlier reply, that's exactly why I
20 proposed four months each in warning and die, before removal altogether.
21 That gives the once-per-quarter updaters a bit of extra time to catch it
22 at each stage, and if they've not done so by four or even eight months
23 out... waiting a full year, or two, or three... isn't necessarily going to
24 help matters much.
25
26 Besides, if they're /that/ far behind the main tree, what sort of overlay
27 maintainer are they anyway? Hardly one that should be basing on Gentoo,
28 which has always been a "rolling" distribution.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman