From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Feedback req: Confirm/thank on bug fix or is that unwanted bug spam?
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 00:38:18
1 When I open or CC on a bug that then gets fixed, I often feel like adding
2 a thanks to the bug. However, while it may be polite in other
3 circumstances, in this case it could be viewed as bug spam, so I've
4 hesitated.
5
6 I reviewed the bug reporting guidelines a month or so ago and didn't see
7 anything either way on it there, so I'm wondering, what's the general
8 opinion? Do you guys appreciate thanks (and confirmation the fix worked
9 at the same time, even when it's fairly obvious it should), or would you
10 rather not get the spam?
11
12 If there's a consensus reached, perhaps it should be added to the bug
13 reporting guidelines as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has
14 wondered about this.
15
16 What I've done occasionally so far is this. Gentoo tends to leave the
17 bug state in resolved/fixed. When I can confirm it, I'll close the bug,
18 with an appropriate note of confirmation and thanks. Does that work or
19 is it still too bug-spammy? Again, if there's a reasonable consensus,
20 it'd be nice to have it mentioned one way or the other in the bug
21 reporting guidelines.
26 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list