From: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>
To: jon@××××××××.net
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:54:18
1 >> This is really off-topic on a technical list like gentoo-dev
2 >
3 > There is no gentoo-legal. I would consider it off-topic if there was a
4 > more appropriate gentoo list for this discussion, or if official Gentoo
5 > policy is to ignore copyright issues.
6
7 Official Gentoo policy is availiable here. 0
8
9 [0] http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml
10
11 First I am not a lawyer, and second -dev should not be used for excessive
12 non-technical discussions, nevertheless I believe that we all, every one
13 of us, are in responsiblilty to the Gentoo Linux Social Contract. And thus
14 the only right thing to do, is to alert each other when we see possible
15 legal pit falls.
16
17 No fence, but I have reasons to believe that Jon has more insight to
18 copyright issues than most (at least normal) writers on dev-. If we are in
19 doubt about the legality of any part of avifile, then we might consider to
20 speak with a lawyer in order to keep Gentoo OSI-compatible. After all, the
21 last thing "we" want, is to end up in court...
22
23 > How about a "css" USE keyword for closed source software?
24 Funny how many different terms that "css" could be an abbreviation of ;p
25
26 Christian
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list