From: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] January 2014 QA Policy Updates
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:20:57
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 01/31/2014 09:07 AM, Peter Stuge wrote:
5 > Alec Warner wrote:
6 >>> hmm?
7 >>
8 >> To be fair, I had a long discussion with this regarding when QA
9 >> has the authority to temporarily ban a developer.
10 >
11 > Cool.
14 >> In the case where policy is missing, QA does not have a clear
15 >> case of authority there. It becomes a more murky area. I've tried
16 >> to very much encourage QA to both publish the policies they want
17 >> to enforce, and automate enforcement with better tooling (repoman
18 >> or otherwise). Being transparent and consistent in enforcement
19 >> of policy goes a long way for getting developers on your side.
20 >
21 > Absolutely.
24 >> So in short, while one could read that passage as you did, I
25 >> don't think that is their intention.
26 >
27 > To be clear, I don't think so either.
30 > Rich Freeman wrote:
31 >> I was really happy to see a public notice of meeting and a
32 >> published summary.
33 >
34 > Yes, me too!
37 > I still think it seems like QA could essentially introduce
38 > arbitrary new policies and 2 weeks later be expected to effect
39 > them.
40 >
41 > Fine when everyone agrees. Not so much at other times. The
42 > responsibility is with QA to build support among the developers,
43 > and I agree that the transparency goes a long way!
46 > //Peter
49 Regarding the question in your first email: We will not create a
50 policy then immeiately use the policy as justification to to go edit
51 packages. The intention of the "we may ask the developer to stop" line
52 is for cases where we suspect that what the developer is doing is
53 causing a problem and would like to discuss it further. I feel that
54 that is well within the bounds of GLEP 48. As for the "when/how we
55 make and communicate fixes," I think that just about any policy we
56 make will fall into the middle ground you omitted of "file a bug, wait
57 2 weeks, fix." So no, we will not be making arbitrary fixes just
58 because we can.
59
60 Regarding your concern about us introducing arbitrary policies: again,
61 most will fall into the "file a bug" middle ground. We also are
62 perfectly aware that you can't expect people to change overnight, and
63 we will not be shouting at devs just because they didn't implement
64 $(new-policy) right away. We will file bugs asking for changes, and we
65 will try to offer suggestions or patches wherever possible to make it
66 easier for maintainers.
67
68 Chris Reffett
69 Gentoo QA Lead