From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unused ebuild built_with_use cleanup
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:03:57
1 On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2 > Stelian Ionescu wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 16:32 +0300, Petteri Räty wrote:
4 >>> I wrote a script to check which ebuilds use built_with_use and have
5 >>> keywords in never versions making the ebuild unused. This means that
6 >>> neither arch or ~arch users are likely to install the ebuild. The script
7 >>> and the list of ebuilds is attached. I plan on removing all these
8 >>> ebuilds two weeks from now unless a reason is given why not to. If you
9 >>> see an ebuild on the list that should be kept, please migrate it to EAPI
10 >>> 2. If you need assistance in migrating, I can help. With these gone
11 >>> built_with_use usage will be down to about 600:
12 >>
13 >> built_with_use shouldn't be removed until EAPI=3 gets approved because
14 >> currently there's no good way to emulate "--missing true|false|die"
15 >> yes, I can use something like this in sbcl:
16 >> || ( <sys-libs/glibc-2.6[nptl] >=sys-libs/glibc-2.6 )
17 >> but not all its use cases may be this simple
20 > Even this is wrong because:
21 >
22 > betelgeuse@pena ~ $ portageq metadata / ebuild sys-libs/glibc-2.2.5-r10 IUSE
23 > nls
24 >
25 > For most packages old versions are not kept around so just doing
26 >>=cat/foo-X.Y[use] is fine and EAPI 3 is not needed. I haven't come
27 > across a case that couldn't be done with EAPI 2 yet. Granted the atoms
28 > can be a bit cleaner with EAPI 3 but considering how much zmedico slacks
29 > in implementing it, it's best to do migrating now with EAPI 2 than EAPI
30
31 Comments like these are not acceptable. Zac works his tail off on
32 portage. Please refrain from such comments in the future.
33 -Jeremy
34
35 > 3 in the far future.
36 >