From: Gold is Heavy <aeoo@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] trying to fix pan, trying to add perl support to xchat, now neither works
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:19:43
1 Hey gang,
2
3 As you know I had this problem with pan. See "debugging pan" thread. But
4 let's forget about it for a second.
5
6 I got a cool script for xchat and I wanted to run it. It turned out my xchat
7 didn't have perl support compiled in (but I DO have USE perl flag set, and
8 always have). Anyway... I figured it's time to upgrade my xchat from 1.8.2
9 to 1.8.4. First thing I did was 'emerge --clean rsync'. I unmerge the old
10 xchat and merged the new one.
11
12 Now, the new xchat gives me the SAME error as pan!!! ARRGGGGG!!!! :) Oh my,
13 the number of working apps is decreasing. I was somewhat annoyed because I
14 had a perfectly working xchat before. Darned perl support...
15
16 Anyway, I figured, forget this.. I am merging the entire gnome-base/gnome.
17 So I did, and it didn't install cleanly. I got these errors:
18 ----
19 >>> Updating mtimes...
20 >>> Merging gnome-base/gnome-1.4-r3 to /
21 !!! /var/qmail/control/ not found. Config file management disabled for this
22 directory.
23 !!! /opt/kde2.1/share/config/ not found. Config file management disabled for
24 this directory.
25 !!! /opt/kde2.2/share/config/ not found. Config file management disabled for
26 this directory.
27 >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
28 >>> gnome-base/gnome-1.4-r3 merged.
29
30 * Regenerating GNU info directory index...
31 * Processed 61 info files: 1 errors; type emerge --verbose to view errors.
32 ----
33
34 So, I type emerge --verbose and I get this:
35 ----
36 root@void2 portage # emerge --verbose
37
38 * Regenerating GNU info directory index...
39 install-info: warning: no info dir entry in `/usr/share/info/libgtop.info.gz'
40 * Processed 61 info files; 1 errors.
41 ----
42
43 I don't think i can do anything about this warning. So, I remerged xchat to
44 see if it's any better with gnome merged...and NOPE..same thing. It just
45 crashes instantly as soon as I start it.
46
47 Something is not right. How can it be this difficult to get it to work? My
48 setup is pretty recent and I didn't do anything weird with it. Also, I *did*
49 follow the thread about moving Gnome apps and I did unmerge every single
50 things that was mentioned in that thread prior to merging xchat, then gnome,
51 then remerging xchat again. I also checked /etc/env.d and I didn't even have
52 90gnome there. Instead I had 90kde.
53
54 Does anyone have any clue, what's up? Any help would be appreciated.
55
56 --Leo