From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] base-system needs developers who care
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 23:18:09
1 Over the years, the base-system package herd has grown in size. Today
2 it comprises 320 packages, of which 61 of those have more than one
3 maintainer. The packages with more than one maintainer I'm only
4 concerned about if the other maintainer is also very busy or not
5 available.
6
7 Some of these packages are very niche, and while they continue to work,
8 they could use a bit more attention than they get presently (you might
9 only hear about them when they break and never when they work).
10
11 They are generally NOT broken and in need of tree-cleaning, but are just
12 lacking forward momentum (not a few bugs are reasonable upstream bugs or
13 feature improvements). Many were once shiny and had lots of people that
14 cared, but that dwindled as they become mundane and just expected to
15 work.
16
17 General increase in the number of developers in base-system would not be
18 a bad outcome from this email either ;-).
19
20 Some of this is from stuff I know needs eyeballs, and others are where
21 the package seems to have more than a few old bugs open.
22
23 Packages in need of review & tweaks or just more eyeballs
24 ----------------------------------------------------------
25 app-admin/sudo (upstream?)
26 app-admin/sysklogd- (upstream?)
27 app-shells/bash (upstream?)
28 dev-util/strace (upstream?)
29 net-dialup/ppp
30 net-firewall/iptables
31 net-fs/nfs-utils (upstream?)
32 net-misc/dhcpcd (upstream?)
33 net-misc/dhcp (upstream?)
34 net-misc/ntp (upstream?)
35 net-misc/openssh
36 net-nds/rpcbind
37 sys-apps/baselayout
38 sys-apps/coreutils (upstream?)
39 sys-apps/kbd (upstream?)
40 sys-block/aoetools
41 sys-block/iscsitarget
42 sys-block/open-iscsi
43 sys-block/thin-provisioning-tools
44 sys-block/vblade
45 sys-fs/lvm2 (mostly in regards to genkernel interaction)
46 sys-fs/multipath-tools
47 sys-fs/quota
50 Robin Hugh Johnson
51 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
52 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
53 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
54 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136