From: Andrew Muraco <tuxp3@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 22:34:46
1 Lares Moreau wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 12:36 -0600, Joe McCann wrote:
6 >>For the record, the eds flag was
7 >>added as a default flag because every 3rd gnome user would file bugs or
8 >>complain via forums because they installed gnome, found no
9 >>evolution-data-server integration, and then be bummed when they had to
10 >>recompile packages again. This whole thread seems to have come from a
11 >>misunderstanding of how use.defaults work and 20 min of boredom.
14 >I'm relatively ignorant of USE Flag intricacies, so please forgive me if
15 >things don't 'fit'.
16 >
17 >Is it feasible and or useful to have a 'meta-flag' that that enables all
18 >the 'necessary' USE flags for a given group of packages? So something
19 >like USE='meta-<flagname>'.
20 >This has the distinction of being a meta-flag, and as such nothing
21 >really gets turned on 'behind the users back', advanced users can look
22 >into it and see what is being enabled by it and USE='-flag' for the
23 >flags the users doesn't need/want, and expert users would just not use
24 >it. This way meta packages like KDE and Gnome can have their own
25 >meta-flag to do what the need with.
26 >
27 >It also seems to me that more things will need to 'just work' as our
28 >user-base becomes larger and, on average, less advanced. We could amend
29 >the desktop guide to include something like USE='meta-gnome' to the
30 >gnome section. And similar to other meta-flags.
31 >
32 >This may add an unnecessary level of complexity to the use flag system,
33 >but also may be very useful.
37 If I remember right theres a GLEP (#29) that purposes to do something
38 very similar (USE Groups I think it was called), but I believe its
39 withdrawn.
40
41 Regards,
42 Andrew