From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:25:30
1 On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:02 -0500, Daniel Ostrow wrote:
2 > [snip]
3 >
4 > > After going through the list, I got the impression there is simply no
5 > > place where such messages clearly would go. gentoo-announce sounds as
6 > > the best option to go for, but its description somehow suggests not.
7 > > Though, subscribed to gentoo-announce means you get nothing but GLSA
8 > > announcements and sometimes a new release announcements.
9 > >
10 > > So, what list should the user that wants to receive those **important**
11 > > messages sign up to?
12 > > I still think that *this* is the reason why people don't seem to know
13 > > about the important changes, because there is no obvious place where to
14 > > get them. It's quite likely that a user that wanted to see the
15 > > new-style apache message didn't see it because it simply didn't appear
16 > > on a list the user hoped to see it. It was in the GWN of 2005-09-12,
17 > > but I can imagine a user didn't expect it to be there, as there is no
18 > > description at al for GWN list, and the **important** information will
19 > > always have to be extracted from the GWN, since each GWN covers multiple
20 > > items in a few categories which not every user might interest.
21 > >
22 > > Send **important** messages separate to a non-discussion mailing list,
23 > > and I'm sure that many people will be happy to read it -- just like
24 > > gentoo-announce.
25 >
26 > [/snip]
27 >
28 > Above and beyond Ciaran's point...
29 >
30 > You are correct, there is no clear cut place for them to go...that's how
31 > this thing got started in the first place. However why force users to
32 > sign up for something which can't be appropriately filtered (installed
33 > packages, keywords, use flags, profiles, etc.) when all of them are
34 > already "signed up" for something that can track and filter, portage.
35 >
36 > I wouldn't necessarily bother signing up for an errata list if said list
37 > was going to provide me with *all* the errata out there. The reason that
38 > a mailing list works for RedHat is because RHN tracks what packages you
39 > have installed on your system on *their* server (again something you
40 > have to sign up for, and worse send them info about your configuration),
41 > so the filtering is done for you. We will *never* do something like
42 > this, we have a client side tool that can identify what is installed
43 > already...why not use it?
44
45 Err...sorry for the double post...mail client error.
46
47 Oh...and before anyone goes nuts...note I said "why force users to sign
48 up" to such a list *not* "we will not provide such a list".
51 Daniel Ostrow
52 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
53 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}
54 dostrow@g.o