From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 03:43:51
1 Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o> writes:
2
3 >> > I think one solution would be to force
4 >> > an update to the latest version of dependencies. It would go around any
5 >> > binary problems like this, but it still wouldn't be pretty.
6 >>
7 >> Only if the binary was built against the latest version of dependencies!
8 >> If it was built against (in this case) openssl-0.9.6, then you'd be
9 >> creating the problem you're trying to solve.
10
11 > We could just set the RDEPEND in the binary packages to be >= the versions
12 > installed on the system that compiled the package.
13
14 A better solution, I think, would be to extend the syntax of
15 DEPEND/RDEPEND (likely not until portage-ng) to support, in addition to
16 constraints on things like USE flag used to compile particular packages
17 (AFAIK, this is certainly planned), a specification that the built
18 package/installed package will depend on the particular version of the
19 dependency present when the package is installed/built. This
20 information is also necessary to know what packages need to be updated
21 when a dependency is updated.
24 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list