From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: How not to discuss
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 14:13:30
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Steven J Long posted:
3 >
4 >> Personally I favour restricting the EAPI='blah' line (which imo should
5 >> simply be single-quoted to avoid escaping issues, but whatever: it's
6 >> easy enough to lex in C, so I fail to see the issue lexing it anywhere
7 >> else) to before the inherit line _in_ _the_ _spec_ since no-one has
8 >> given any reason why we should want to do anything else, and afaik
9 >> repoman will warn about it anyhow.
10 >>
11 >> Could *you* explain to us, why that restriction is such a bad thing?
12 >
13 > Me? I'm afraid you have *me* mistaken for someone else, or at least my
14 > position mistaken for that of someone else.
15 >
16 > I actually happen to agree with your statement of opinion as quoted
17 > above, now put in my own words, that an in-ebuild EAPI='blah' line (or
18 > similar in-ebuild equivalent, shebangs, etc), suitably restricted in
19 > position and value, complete with single quotes to avoid escaped-char
20 > issues, is sufficient.
21 *phew* ;)
22
23 btw repoman could easily correct this (given a valid EAPI somewhere in
24 the ebuild) and thus enforce it automatically while not causing the dev
25 any interruption in workflow (beyond a warning.)
26
27 > Either wait a suitable time or change the ebuild
28 > extension *ONCE* to ensure all actively supported PMs work with this
29 > before the first otherwise disruptive global change (as to say filename
30 > version information, but that's a separate issue), and run with it.
31 >
32 The thing is we don't need to change anything beyond tightening up the
33 PMS. And that's been the issue: that changes to the spec are not accepted
34 from the list, or simply trolled on bugzilla. It's a one-way street
35 (hence the "broken process".)
36
37 > Plus the in-extension (or in-filename) solution has very similar
38 > restrictions. so it's not about the question of adding EAPI restrictions,
39 > that's a given either way. We can just add them to the existing in-file
40 > solution and get on with the show, with the same ultimate extensibility
41 > benefits and very similar restrictions either way, so we might as /well/
42 > just go with simple restrictions on the current solution, and be done
43 > with it.
44 >
45 Agreed.
46
47 > But, particularly if we're going the *single* extension change route
48 > anyway, it's a great opportunity to do any useful cache file format
49 > changes, like say, a single unified metadata file for all versions of a
50 > package, or all in a category, or adding tags or similar metadata so for
51 > instance kmail can show up in both the kde-base and mail client
52 > categories.
53
54 I am not following why any of those require an extension change? Cache is
55 totally separate to ebuilds.
56
57 > The point I made, however, was entirely separate, that being that
58 > regardless of one's personal feelings on GLEP55 and the merits of its
59 > implementation, we're likely to be stuck with it, as nobody has bothered
60 > formulating a properly constructed alternative solution.
61 >
62 > As for whether there's even a problem, the council did vote that in
63 > principle, they did see the problem, and I agree, there are global format
64 > restrictions in the current EAPI due to the /lack/ of specifics in the
65 > EAPI assignment rules that ARE a problem in terms of flexibility.
66
67 So again, change the spec to reflect the reality. Problem solved. Bear in
68 mind that the mangler doesn't even bother looking at the version if the
69 EAPI is not supported.
70
71 >> In summary: the existing design, including harring's EAPI, suffices for
72 >> all the 'problems' raised. The most we need to do is specify that the
73 >> mangler is allowed to extract the EAPI without sourcing, the
74 >> restrictions that enable this, and that global-scope EAPI functions
75 >> (including a later BASH version) are consequently allowed.
76 >
77 > So you're saying the current solution, with a few minor changes, is
78 > enough, while I'm saying the current solution as-is, is not enough, and
79 > needs at least minor changes.
80 >
81 > I think we're in violent agreement there! =:^)
82 >
83 Yes but those changes are minor and simply to do with PMS. There's nothing
84 portage needs to change, nor are there any implications for mangler
85 developers (it actually makes their life easier) and ebuild authors.
86
87 > I'm simply adding that whatever one's position on GLEP55 and its
88 > suitability, given that it's remains the only formally defined proposal
89 > after YEARS of debate, it's likely to be the one adopted, for lack of an
90 > alternative. The opposition is demonstrating by its actions that it
91 > simply doesn't care enough about it to be motivated to provide a
92 > sufficiently defined alternative, since it hasn't done so.
93
94 That's because no change is required, beyond the simple tightening of the
95 spec. Since no GLEP is needed, why on Earth would we bother going through
96 the tortuous process of arguing for one with people who insult us with every
97 line and add nothing else? (in 90% of the replies I get. Yes, that's a made
98 up stat, it could well be more.. ;)
99
100 And believe me, we get worse on bugzilla.
101
102 In a nutshell: the GLEP was rejected by consensus last year; the problem was
103 only ever in the PMS, nowhere else. In such a circumstance, no GLEP is
104 required from the "other side."
105
106 [project]
107 I for one am sick of all the arguing and insults (and yes, I'm aware I tend
108 to give as good as I get;) it's why I went off posting to this list, and to
109 my knowledge it's why quite a few Gentoo devs have left over the past 3
110 years.
111
112 Collaboration in my free time does *not* tend to go on being insulted by
113 people who have no clue what they are on about, in my professional opinion,
114 and seem to be more interested in ruining the atmosphere that this list
115 started out with (I recommend reading that far back to anyone who never
116 has. "Manners maketh the man.")
117
118 The thing is: Gentoo collaboration /could/ be so much more fun, on the list
119 just as much as it already is on IRC.
120 [/project]
121 --
122 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)