From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, god@××××××××.in
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-irc/xchat
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:17:10
1 On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > along those lines, a news entry is probably not even necessary.
3
4 So, users will just suddenly have their binary change names, and will
5 need to manually move config files and update logrotate.d files (if in
6 use), and the only notice will be in an elog? Oh, and that elog will
7 appear for a program called "hexchat" which as far as the user is
8 aware they don't even use.
9
10 This really seems to be stretching the purpose of package moves, and I
11 don't hear users generally complaining about the fact that we give
12 them too much warning when we're about to break their systems. We
13 really should be using news more, and not less.
14
15 Rich