From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] db questions
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:10:11
1 On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 11:51:33PM +0000, C. Brewer wrote:
2 Content-Description: signed data
3 > I recently noticed I have 5 versions of db installed now (~x86), and
4 > my question is this: since qpkg is lying to me and says I need them
5 > all and the ebuilds say different, what versions are actually required
6 > now, and is there any chance that we'll get to just one in the
7 > future?:)
8
9 It's highly unlikely that we will get the point where we will need only
10 one.
11
12 I don't know where you get five versions however, this is what most
13 machines will end up with over time (these are also the 4 slots):
14 sys-libs/db-1*
15 sys-libs/db-3*
16 sys-libs/db-4.0*
17 sys-libs/db-4.1*
18
19 The reasoning behind this is repeated API changes have lead programs to
20 specificly link against some version, or come up with fancy macros
21 (which break often) to try and work with lots of them.
22
23 The major problem with the API changes is changes in the order and
24 number of parameters of some function calls.
25
26 There are programs in portage that specificly look for all of
27 those slotted variants.
30 Robin Hugh Johnson
31 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
32 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
33 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
34 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85