From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: Apache "-D PHP5" needs update to "-D PHP"
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 19:36:25
1 On 01/04/2016 02:27 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 >
3 > I may be able to fix that by simply including the old 70_mod_php5.conf
4 > for backwards compatibility.
7 I just pushed a new revision with this fix. In eselect-php-0.8.2-r1,
8 we ship both the new 70_mod_php.conf and the old 70_mod_php5.conf. The
9 latter comes with a big warning at the top of it, stating that it is for
10 backwards compatibility only.
11
12 The way this should work for upgraders is:
13
14 * You currently have php-5.x eselected, -DPHP5 defined, and a symlink
15 to libphp5.so in your apache2 modules directory.
16
17 * You upgrade eselect-php.
18
19 * The way we handle the module symlink and conf.d definition has
20 changed, but the new eselect won't touch your old libphp5.so
21 symlink, and you still have -DPHP5 defined.
22
23 * With 70_mod_php5.conf still around, everything keeps working
24 exactly as it did before the eselect-php upgrade.
25
26 * If you try to use `eselect php ... apache2`, it will create a NEW
27 symlink, under the new scheme. Nothing else happens. Hopefully
28 this convinces you to read the elog or apache config.
29
30 * If you define both -DPHP5 and -DPHP, you can get problems. Don't do
31 that?
32
33 * If you switch from -DPHP5 to -DPHP, the new 70_mod_php.conf kicks
34 in, and the new scheme gets used, and your eselect choice will
35 start working. Now you can delete 70_mod_php5.conf.
36
37 tl;dr it should keep working until you try to eselect and "it doesn't do
38 anything." Then hopefully you try to figure out why and realize you need
39 to update to -DPHP. But until then your current PHP keeps running.
40
41 If you had trouble with the upgrade, first of all -- sorry, and could
42 you please give the new revision a try? This upgrade should only be
43 annoying, not fatal.