From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLogs and rsync time
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:50:31
1 Ok, last shoot, then let put this stuff to sleep.
2 Description of the attachment at the end:
3
4 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
5 > On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 11:25 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
6 >>> I'm also for telling the users to rsync exclude the ChangeLogs if they
7 >>> don't want them instead of getting rid of them or crippling them.
8 >> I don't think that's really a solution. That's just a way to minimize
9 >> what they get. If you really want to look at a solution, you should
10 >> reduce whats actually in the changelog. All the changelogs are in CVS,
11 >> and if someone wanted to go look back at any changes, they can either
12 >> look at viewcvs or (hopefully soon), grab it via anoncvs. I bet you >80%
13 >> of things in the changelogs are for things that are in the attic. I say
14 >> we need a way to either have echangelog (or another script) to clean out
15 >> changelog entries for things that are in the attic (and make sense to
16 >> take out). Maybe another option would be to remove any 'version bump'
17 >> type entries that are old as well.
18 >
19 > OK. I keep seeing this argument about ChangeLog stuff for ebuilds in
20 > the Attic and I just think people might not be thinking it totally
21 > trough. For example, I made changes to the vmware-workstation ebuilds
22 > to force group membership a while back because of a security bug.
23 > However, there's been another security bug since, so those changes were
24 > made on ebuilds now in Attic, but the change is still valid in the
25 > current ebuilds.
26
27 Could ignore the revision (-r*) address this issue ?
30 > I don't see a problem with removing version bump and stabilization
31 > messages, but everything else should stay in the ChangeLog for as long
32 > as the package is still around.
33 >
34 >> I just don't see the point of keeping changelog entries for stuff that
35 >> isn't even viewable in the tree anymore. We have CVS, the record will be
36 >> there, lets use it. We can't cater to every user out there, but come up
37 >> with a solid solution that makes sense and still gives them some form of
38 >> ability to look back.
39 >
40 > Because as I stated before, there are many times where the ChangeLog
41 > entry for an older ebuild applies to the newer ones. This is especially
42 > true when ebuilds are simply copied for version bumps. Removing this
43 > information removes a lot of data. Forcing users/developers to use CVS
44 > makes it more of a hassle than the gains will give us.
45
46 same as before
49 > Again, I think this is another case of us doing things that aren't
50 > necessary rather than educating users.
51 >
52 > I wouldn't have a problem with seeing ChangeLog in a default
53 > RSYNC_EXCLUDES with a nice comment explaining how to get the ChangeLog
54 > files. This way we are removing the problem by default, educating
55 > users, and still not removing any data or options for our users and
56 > developers.
59 IMHO RSYNC_EXCLUDES it's a bad option, in it's extended version, exclude
60 foo/bar could bring to every sort of problems, difficult to address (but
61 I've never tryed that ;-).
62
63 The attached bash script attempt to purge the ChangeLog (it broke a bit
64 but could be solved)
65
66 It clean out all entries without corresponding files (*.ebuild files/*)
67 It left in place date of addition of euilds and developer that changed
68 something
69
70 The test is moved in two new files Changelog.{new,old}
71
72 be careful, it leave a ".tmp__revisions" in place
73
74 The size of the resulting ChangeLog may be less han 50% than the original.

elogcleaner text/plain