From: Balaji Srinivasan <BSrinivasan@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: "'Martin, Stephen'" <stephen.martin@××××××××.com>, "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] etc-update
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 21:19:44
1 I second the groan...make.conf gets update pretty much everytime portage
2 gets updated. New features are always added...Most people dont even touch
3 those lines they leave it to be the defaults. The only lines i modified were
4 the USE, CFLAGS and MIRRORS. Looks like that is the normal behaviour. Now
5 making a change for the better for the majority of the users is better than
6 no change.
7 Balaji
8
9 -----Original Message-----
10 From: Martin, Stephen [mailto:stephen.martin@××××××××.com]
11 Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 1:14 PM
12 To: 'gentoo-dev@g.o'
13 Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] etc-update
16 Re: make.conf, though, what about having portage automatically merge
17 uncommented make.conf settings, or at least the USE and CFLAGS? Given that
18 they're in the file as a way for the user to override settings in
19 make.globals, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have them overwritten
20 and commented out every time make.conf is updated. Granted, it's not a huge
21 inconvenience to merge by hand using etc-update, but I groan every time I
22 see make.conf pop up when I know the only thing I need to keep are the USE,
23 CFLAGS and MIRRORS settings.
24
25 -Steve
28 -----Original Message-----
29 From: Alain Penders [mailto:alain@g.o]
30 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RE: [gentoo-user] etc-update
31
32 Splitting config files in sections is useless, we can't dictate how other
33 application developers should structure or load configuration files.