From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Changing default serial-console definition in inittab
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 17:46:35
1 On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:29:54AM -0700, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Since I've been configuring a couple of systems lately for remote
3 > access, which include configuring the serial console, I'm wondering if
4 > it would be a good idea to change our inittab so that the default
5 > (commented out) definition of the serial consoles is a bit more.. modern.
6 >
7 > The current definition sets the console at 9600 baud, using vt100
8 > emulation; I think most of us who configure it, do so at 115200 baud,
9 > and some prefer vt-utf8 over vt100 (the two are partially compatible as
10 > far as I can tell).
11 >
12 > Of the two systems I've configured ­– a SuperMicro server which is the
13 > new tinderbox host, and an HP for work – both have the default IPMI
14 > configuration for Serial-over-LAN set at 115200, and the HP also had
15 > VT-UTF8 by default for emulation (SuperMicro defaulted to vt100 but
16 > still allows utf8).
17 >
18 > Comments?
19