From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IUSE and eclasses
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 21:11:41
1 On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 04:49:13PM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Current (possibly unwritten) policy:
3 > - eclasses declare USE-flags they honor in their own IUSE
4 > - ebuilds declare USE-flags they honor in their own IUSE
5 > - ebuilds do not declare USE-flags honored by eclasses they inherit
6
7 The policy itself is almost fine, it's the checking we need to improve.
8
9 The only policy problem case that is where an eclass has a flag
10 declared, but the ebuild doesn't use that part of the eclass at all, on
11 purpose. Either the ebuild/eclass should be changed, or we should have
12 a way to take flags out of IUSE further down the line.
13
14 > So right now the policy is broken, but the apparent alternative is
15 > unmanageable. Ideas?
16 Before changing more, it would be good to have some proper repoman
17 checks for this stuff.
18
19 It should be easily doable, as there are only a few proper ways to use
20 USE flags in your ebuild. This would also help catch ebuilds/eclasses
21 not declaring IUSE properly, or having old stuff in IUSE that isn't
22 actually used anymore.
23
24 The only official ways to use USE flags are (at least to my knowledge):
25 use FLAG
26 usev FLAG
27 useq FLAG
28 use_enable FLAG
29 use_with FLAG
30
31 I don't think I'm missing any here am I?
32
33 The only other change is that repoman would need to work on eclasses.
36 Robin Hugh Johnson
37 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
38 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
39 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
40 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85