From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 04:44:07
1 My personal opinion:
2
3 Unless we have a good reason to do otherwise, don't fuck with upstream.
4
5 On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 8:12 PM, Damien Levac <damien.levac@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > Three points :-
9 > > 1) systemd - not all gentoo users subscribe to this 'philosophy' .. >but
10 > >no, I don't want get drawn into debates of yes/no of systemd ..
11 >
12 > The article start by saying the points are not just for systemd, even
13 > though the latter might find the merge more 'needed'...
14 >
15 > >2) "Today, a separate /usr partition already must be mounted by the
16 > >initramfs during early boot, thus making the justification for a
17 > >split-off moot." - no, not all gentoo users have an initramfs and
18 > >need/want one .. so this is a false assumption.
19 >
20 > Agreed, this does not apply to Gentoo.
21 >
22 > >3) I still believe there is merit in distinguishing between binaries
23 > >that can/should be run as root, and those that can/should not. Those
24 > >that run as root 100% of the time, or use VMs, don't really 'use' linux
25 > >in the original sense of the OS ..
26 >
27 > /usr/sbin still exists in a merged usr, so I don't get that point...
28 >
29 > >*hides in his bike-shed, awaiting the flaming torches....*
30 >
31 > Don't worry: no troll here.
32 >
33 > --