From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Putting CC and CXX into make.conf
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 13:18:00
1 On Thu, 2023-02-09 at 14:03 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'd like to propose that we work towards having good defaults for CC
5 > and CXX variables in make.conf files. Something like:
6 >
7 > CC=${CHOST}-gcc
8 > CXX=${CHOST}-g++
9 >
10 > or:
11 >
12 > CC=${CHOST}-cc
13 > CXX=${CHOST}-c++
14 >
15 > Why?
16 >
17 > Right now we're pretty much relying on autoconf defaults: if CC/CXX is
18 > unset, autoconf looks for ${CHOST}-gcc and ${CHOST}-g++ appropriately.
19 > However, autoconf is only one of the many build systems (and no longer
20 > very popular, I'd say) and whenever apps use another build system or
21 > override the default lookup in autoconf, we need to 'tc-export CC CXX'
22 > in order to ensure that the right name is picked.
23 >
24 > Furthermore, some of us (myself included) actually set CC and CXX
25 > in their make.conf to a different value. As a result, they are exported
26 > already on our systems and it's hard for us to notice that our ebuilds
27 > are missing the tc-export call.
28 >
29 > I'm not aware of any downsides to having them set by default, except for
30 > the potentially problematic migration of existing systems.
31 >
32 > What are your thoughts?
33
34 I've long been surprised that CC/CXX are not exported when the FLAGS are. We
35 already set these when cross-compiling or when using Clang, and that's been
36 fine, so I really don't see any issue.