From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Support for multiple ABIs for amd64 (64bit,32bit) in multilib overlay
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:49:14
1 Robin H. Johnson schrieb:
2 > On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 04:50:23PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> what exactly does this "lib32" do ? naming USE flags according to specific
4 >> ABI implementations is a bad idea. you have to forget special casing anything
5 >> to "lib32 vs lib64". amd64, while the most common, is hardly extensible. we
6 >> must handle multiple ABIs which easily might have the same bitsize.
7 > The canonical example for this does still remain MIPS I believe.
8 >
9 > The most common ABIs in MIPS are:
10 > o32, n32 - Both in Gentoo releases
11 > n64 - Was experimentally done in Gentoo (default-linux/mips/2007.1-dev/generic-be/n64)
12 > o64, eabi, meabi, nubi - Not sure if they were were ever released in any way.
13 >
14 > Crossdev DOES support the full swath of these last I checked it.
18 There is a difference between creating a toolchain and supporting all packages for that arch and
19 every possible ABI you can crosscompile.
20
21 Currently i only support amd64 since thats the only ARCH i know and have access to. If i get enough
22 details to implement other ARCHes and some way to test it there, i might try it for those other
23 ARCHes too.
26 Thomas Sachau
27
28 Gentoo Linux Developer