From: Markus Wagner <mw@××××××××.de>
To: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About writing ebuild files
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:07:27
1 Hi!
2
3 On Monday 24 June 2002 06:33, George Shapovalov wrote:
4 > This way you as an author will get proper credit for ebuild submission,
5 > core developer will get his credit for processing/cleaning up your
6 > submission and a person updating the ebuild will get his due.
7 Sure. I forgot the Changelog. ;)
8
9 > You can execute adduser command from pkg_preinst. You might want to add
10 > corresponding deluser entry to pkg_postremove.
11 Ok. I asked, because I didn't find any documention about these two functions.
12
13 > However I am not sure if this is a desirable way to do so or rather should
14 > user addition be left to sysadmin (still probably not a very elegant
15 > solution as a few files likely need to be chowned). On the other hand you
16 > might prefer other username for this package - in case this is covered by
17 > any standart.
18 These were my thoughts. I think, normally user addition should be the job of
19 the sysadmin, but the installation of cyrus-imapd have to create some
20 directories (spool and so on) and they have to belong to "cyrus".
21
22 > I think you should include complete file and install it in the proper
23 > place. As long as it is installed in CONFIG_PROTECTed dir it does not
24 > overwrite installed version but rather gets a specially mangled name.
25 I know the configuration protection. That's not the problem.
26 But I think, if I include a services file, that only contains the new entries,
27 the user can easily recognize the required ones.
28
29 One non-technical question left:
30 May I define new USE variables or is this the job of the core development?
31
32 Markus