From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:54:34
1 On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 03:46:57AM +0300, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > >Clarify please :)
4 > >Offhand, I don't see why a bin repo for a home target isn't viable,
5 > >along with a vdb repo in the same location. It's a bit trickier, but
6 > >I suspect it might be a bit more flexible in the long run.
7 >
8 > I don't think that's possible without a lot of hacking for many packages
9 > as $HOME will be expanded at build time and might be included in the
10 > resulting binaries. Or in other words: If it works, we don't need
11 > $PREFIX support at all as packages could be relocated at merge time.
12 Was referencing per home binrepo's; basically (if desired by the
13 admin/user), binpkg backups of per user home targets.
14
15 End result is per user FEATURES="buildpkg" support, with the binpkgs
16 safely tucked away within $HOME of the user. If we're already doing
17 the dep calculation of what nodes are needed, and where (home prefix,
18 or global, etc), don't see why that info can't be tucked away and used
19 as a restriction for the binpkg generated for that particular user...
20 ~brian
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list