From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:56:28
1 On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 04:54:33 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > i dont see why this is required ? ignoring the fact that the wording
4 > is way too vague to do anything but cause confusion and people to
5 > spout long winded rants, seems like useless nitpicking about an issue
6 > that doesnt exist
7
8 Well, I believe one hypothetical situation which it would address would
9 be something like this:
10
11 Gentoo, for whatever reason, ends up relying upon $sponsor for, say,
12 two thirds of its hardware. $sponsor employs a Gentoo developer who has
13 certain political views that aren't in line with Gentoo policy. Said
14 developer uses his influence as an employee of $sponsor to get $sponsor
15 to say to the Council "either you change policy to say blah within a
16 month or we're going to stop sponsoring you".
17
18 Now, something like that, were it to happen, would put Gentoo in a very
19 tricky situation. The Council can't easily say no, since losing two
20 thirds of its hardware would effectively halt development. Equally,
21 however, it's not exactly a good idea for the Council to establish a
22 precedent of rushing through policy changes that most people don't want
23 because of outside pressure.
24
25 *shrug* I guess that's the intention behind the proposal, anyway. If it
26 is, I agree that Christel's wording isn't as clear as it could be...
29 Ciaran McCreesh
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list