From: "Diego \\\"Flameeyes\\\" Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] PAM related: pam_console ?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:18:46
1 Seems like pam_console modules is broken. I'm not able to make it compile both
2 as a standalone ebuild i'm trying to write and as the complete pam with
3 +pam_console flag.
4
5 Anyway I was wondering what pam_console is used for, at the end. It's a way to
6 set up permissions when someone logins at a console. I would never use
7 something like that on a remote server, as anyone which could have a local
8 login can do anything· It also doesn't make sense on a recent user system
9 configured properly, as devfs/udev would take care of permissions, and users
10 needs only to set the group correctly (simpler than using pam_console
11 anyway).
12
13 Seems to me like a workaround for old old (too old!) systems, which is no more
14 needed at least for us.
15
16 I know this is there also for compatibility, but this makes sys-libs/pam
17 ebuild very bloated as for now, and still I don't know a reason to have it
18 there.
19
20 Some comments about it?
21 --