From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:59:39
1 On 21 August 2013 20:10, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 20:03:30 +0100
3 > Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 21 August 2013 19:28, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > Instead of dropping them entirely to ~arch, maybe something in
8 >> > between could be done: Said arches could start moving to ~arch the
9 >> > leaf and less important packages. E.g. we have (had?) a lot of
10 >> > sparc keywords on sound packages or ppc keywords on ocaml ones
11 >> > because at some point (~10 years ago) some dev was interested in
12 >> > these on this architecture but I'm pretty sure nobody uses them.
13 >> >
14 >> > In short: Reduce stable coverage to reduce the workload.
15 >> >
16 >> > Also, from what I've seen in the thread, you are talking about
17 >> > keywords only, right ? Do these arches keep their stable mark in
18 >> > profiles.desc?
19 >> >
20 >>
21 >> I am not familiar with portage internals to understand what
22 >> implications will an ~arch only architecture have if marked as stable.
23 >> Is there a good reason for that?
24 >
25 > Oh yes: Forbid broken deptree.
26 >
27 > x86-fbsd has always been dev profile + ~arch only. It is almost
28 > impossible to move it to stable profile since people (almost) never run
29 > 'repoman -d' and even less file bugs when they introduce broken deps.
30 > It is common to have portage bail out when updating your system because
31 > someone introduced a broken dep and didnt pay attention.
32 >
33 > amd64-fbsd is stable profile + ~arch only. People do it the correct
34 > way, which is: drop keywords, file a bug. Since we do not have a huge
35 > tree coverage here, I get about 5 such bugs a months, which are not hard
36 > to handle.
39 Ah, I have no strong preference then.
42 Regards,
43 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
44 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang