From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] repoman adding "Package-Manager: portage-2.2.20.1" to every single commit
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 19:09:33
1 On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 14:24:24 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 2:09 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Signed-off-by has a completely different purpose which is not part
6 > > of our workflow, so that tag is pretty useless to us most of the
7 > > time.
8 > >
9 > > See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Talk:Gentoo_git_workflow#Sign-Off
12 > I agree. Generally it is used to signify agreement to a developer
13 > certificate of origin. I would recommend using it for any other
14 > purpose, especially since there has been talk of instituting a DCO for
15 > Gentoo (based on the Linux DCO). We're not at the point of doing that
16 > just yet, but I wouldn't stick something entirely different in that
17 > field so that if we do institute a DCO we end up doing it differently
18 > than every other project that uses Git.
19 >
20 > If we want to capture this it should go in its own header. If the
21 > goal is to capture the repoman version, then I'd just capture the
22 > repoman version, or some identifier for the set of rules repoman was
23 > checking against at the moment (I'm not sure if repoman uses any kind
24 > of data updated outside of portage releases).
27 It does not other the the metadata.dtd file it checks for updates and
28 updates itself with. But that is very likely to change with the
29 rewrite I have in progress (albeit slowly). I have also seriously been
30 contemplating splitting off it's release from the main portage package.
31
32 Most users don't ever use repoman. Plus once the plugin system and
33 checks data downloads are in place, there will be far less need for
34 updates and releases. I would still keep it part of the portage
35 repository due to it's ties to the codebase. Just release it as a
36 separate installable package.
39 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>