From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 14:12:40
1 Am Samstag, den 03.04.2010, 16:40 +0300 schrieb Dror Levin:
2 > There is currently a wiki for gentoo at gentoo-wiki.com, which is
3 > running MediaWiki, so it would be easiest to transfer the content if
4 > we were to run the same software.
5
6 This should happen (if at all) on a per article basis imho. Having the
7 option to do so (if we want to) is a plus we should consider, though.
8
9 > Now, this doesn't mean we should be
10 > limited by their actions, but it seems to me like the best choice for
11 > other reasons as well. Its syntax is probably the most well known,
12 > thanks to Wikipedia. Its upstream is active, it apparently scales and
13 > performs pretty well, it's GPL, supports translations/localization,
14 > feeds, attachments, etc.
15 > I'm sure many other alternatives are as qualified, so this is most
16 > likely a personal preference issue. As such, lets just agree on
17 > something that works and is widespread and go with that and avoid all
18 > the bikeshedding.
19
20 Mediawiki sounds like what we want probably, mainly because it seems to
21 be the most popular one.
22
23 Besides that:
24 - Ubuntu and Debian are using MoinMoin
25 - Fedora and OpenSUSE use Mediawiki
28 > > 2 - maintainers
29 > > ===============
30 > >
31 > > Who is volunteering for maintaining the wiki? We need editors and
32 > > moderators, people who look out for quality control and take care of
33 > > spam removal. So let's get together a team. I'm sure if we ask on the
34 > > forums we'll get some users interested as well.
35 > I volunteer. Spam shouldn't be that much of an issue if editing is
36 > restricted to registered users, but it is a good idea to have a team
37 > of moderators similar to the one that exists for the forums (of course
38 > users can take part of it as well as developers).
39
40 It's not that I'm able to invest really much time for this, but if it's
41 needed to get this finally rolling - count me in. Plus it shouldn't be
42 much of an issue, if editing is limited to registered users (at least
43 when speaking of Spam).
44
45 > IMO it's best if only registered users can edit (but registering
46 > should be easy, no bugs to file or anything, just sign up and use
47 > immediately). This will probably prevent most kinds of spam and allow
48 > for much better tracking of editing and history, allow for banning,
49 > etc. without closing the wiki up too much.
50
51 Fully ack.
52
53 In addition I'd like to establish a Wiki team with both developers and
54 experienced users who are able to review Wikipages (specifically every
55 revision of a page) and tag those pages as reviewed. Something not that
56 difficult, but that'll allow for some QA. See
57 http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FlaggedRevs for reference.
58
59 - Tobias
62 Praxisbuch Nagios