From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc-0.5.1 arrived in the tree
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:16:03
1 On Tuesday 13 October 2009 20:41:51 Branko Badrljica wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > i really dont buy this argument, but ignoring that, poor admin policy is
4 > > no excuse. blindly accepting all unstable versions of a package instead
5 > > of pinning a specific version and then expecting a stable system isnt
6 > > going to happen. Thomas is absolutely right here.
7 >
8 > But just as an notice, I didn't expect STABLE but at least DOCUMENTED
9 > system ?
10 > Is that too much to ask ?
11
12 you have already documentation for the default install (which can only be
13 deviated from by user's will) as pointed out by people. you cant reasonable
14 expect 100% documentation coverage for everything.
15
16 > Having some reasonable safety margin is base of sanity. Your PSU is
17 > galvanicaly insulated, but law demands that housing of your PC be
18 > connected to earth potential in case of insulation failing. Had that
19 > been done by Gentoo community courts would be full of cases of
20 > "unreasonable dead jerks who should be grateful"...
21
22 when openrc gains the ability to blow up your computer, let us know so we can
23 add a news item to warn people.
24
25 > > documentation doesnt write itself. this isnt directed specifically at
26 > > you, but clamoring "gimme gimme gimme" is more likely to get people to
27 > > tell you to toss off than get what you want.
28 >
29 > And who should write documentation for new code ? Unreasonable users
30 > that find it not working or perhaps authors ?
31 > While I recognise the fact that Gentoo is not commercial distro, I want
32 > also some recognition for value of my time as a passive tester.
33
34 passive testers file bugs about things missing. they dont go onto mailing
35 lists demanding changes.
36
37 > I am happy to give what I can, but I expect at least some basic
38 > foundations for that. Having documentation about public changes at least
39 > for me falls well within that category.
40 >
41 > At least for me, even otherwise useful changes can have NEGATIVE value,
42 > if they gob heaps of my time totally unnecesarilly and total lack of
43 > documentation is on top of the list of best ways to piss on masses.
44
45 you've already been given plenty of documentation foundation. you just seem
46 inclined to ignore it.
47
48 so to reiterate, pissing & moaning on this mailing list is going to get you
49 nowhere. i'm done responding to such e-mails in this thread.
50 -mike