From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:53:51
1 On Thursday 14 August 2003 13:37, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 07:28, Svyatogor wrote:
3 > > This is what Debian did and many people complain about this, cause they
4 > > want to be able to use KDE native menu system.
5 > > Answering your question 'Why should I modify every ebuild'. Not every,
6 > > but only the ones which provide some apps with UI. Secondly you don't
7 > > *have to*. If you want users of your app's to edit files themselves -
8 > > fair enough.
9 >
10 > FEATURES=-menu emerge kde
11 >
12 > Better yet, the menu FEATURE should NOT be the default, but rather need
13 > to be set by the user to enable the Gentoo menus.
14
15 I think it should also be doable to have the gentoo menu maintenance
16 application also able to just do everything in the default location. But in
17 any case the gentoo menu system as I understand it provides a global menu.
18 Most windowmanagers also have user menu's and certainly do not provide means
19 for normal users to change the global menu. As the gentoo-menu application
20 provides a native menustructure for a windowmanager (only at a different
21 location?) the user menu editor should continue to function as expected, only
22 having the global items being managed differently.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Gentoo Developer