From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New multi-qt scheme
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:01:15
1 On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 02:47:22PM +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > Introducing the new way of managing several QTs. This can also apply to any
5 > other libraries. General idea by drobbins, but I've made a small change.
6 > This is still a suggestion, and should be well discussed before implementing.
7
8 Let's refine this a bit more. Here's my new and improved plan. Like /usr/X11R6,
9 qt appears to need its own unified "tree of stuff". Let's put it at /usr/qt
10 for simplicity and consistency. If we have qt-2.3.0 and 3.0.1 installed:
11
12 /usr/qt/lib -> 3.0.1/lib
13 /usr/qt/bin -> 3.0.1/bin
14 /usr/qt/include -> 3.0.1/include
15 /usr/qt/2.3.0/lib (2.3.0 libraries)
16 /usr/qt/2.3.0/bin (2.3.0 binaries)
17 /usr/qt/2.3.0/include (2.3.0 includes)
18 /usr/qt/3.0.1/lib
19 /usr/qt/3.0.1/bin
20 /usr/qt/3.0.1/include
21 /usr/qt/3 -> 3.0.1
22 /usr/qt/3.0 -> 3.0.1
23 /usr/qt/2 -> 2.3.0
24 /usr/qt/2.3 -> 2.3.0
25
26 If an ebuild needs qt-3.x, it uses the stuff in /usr/qt/3/*. If it needs 3.0.1
27 specifically, it uses the stuff in /usr/qt/3.0.1/*. The "3" symlink will point
28 to the most recently-merged version of qt-3.x installed. This way, ebuilds simply
29 need a DEPEND, RDEPEND, and to look in the right directory for what they need.
30
31 All developer man pages, documentation and the tutorial should be moved to a
32 separate ebuild called "qt-dev". I normally don't like doing this, but nearly
33 all the QT-related stuff is really for developers only and their documentation
34 is massive. All this doc stuff gets installed in the standard places in the
35 /usr directory.
36
37 It'd also probably be best to change the name of the "qt-x11" package to "qt".
38
39 Best Regards,
42 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
43 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org