From: Peter Kadau <peter.kadau@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Grub Hard Disk Error
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 19:40:55
1 > I successfully installed gentoo linux but ran into problems setting up GRUB.
2 > When I reboot I get an error message "Grub Hard Disk Error" and my system
3 > hangs.
4 >
5 > I think it is related to my Promise Ultra ATA66 card and the assignment of
6 > drive names hd0, hd?. My only hard disk is /dev/hde (its on the Promise
7 > card, not my motherboard). When using GRUB, it showed up as hd1 rather than
8 > hd4. I did the root (hd1,1) and setup (hd1) succesfully.
9 >
10 > In /boot/boot/grub/menu.lst I set up root as hd1,1 and then set the kernel
11 > parameter to root=/dev/hde2.
12 >
13 > Can someone explain to me why my system hangs at boot with a GRUB Hard Disk
14 > Error message?
15 >
16 > Thank You,
17 > Dan Nelson
20 what _exactly_ do you have in "menu.lst" ?
21
22 general suggestion: install grub natively from floppy (sic!)
23 look (with <TAB>) at what disks (and partitions on that disk) are available.
24 i always had probs with GRUB using the grub-shell.
25
26 hth
27 ciao
28 peter