From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing support for mercurial repos in repositories.xml
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 22:46:31
1 On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 4:42 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi, everyone.
4 >
5 > I'd like to ask Gentoo repository owners to switch off Mercurial
6 > and remove all Mercurial repositories from repositories.xml. There are
7 > two reasons for that:
8 >
9 > 1. Portage does not support syncing from Mercurial repos, and needs to
10 > use external tools (e.g. layman) for that.
11 >
12 > 2. Mercurial is buggy and maintaining support for those repos is PITA.
13 >
14 > If you noticed that Gentoo repository mirrors did not update for 10
15 > hours a few days ago -- Mercurial was the reason. It is very fragile,
16 > and if some server chokes during sync, it hangs the whole process until
17 > somebody (which means me) kills it. And it's not the first time it
18 > killed the whole system.
19 >
20 > Yes, I could add process timeouts. But small timeouts are going to
21 > break the occasional necessity of cloning big repos, and big timeouts
22 > are going to make little difference when Mercurial starts hanging again.
25 So you are against timeouts altogether, or you just don't want to implement
26 them?
30 > If someone really cares about this horrible piece of software, I'd
31 > appreciate patches (preferably going upstream) to make it timeout sanely
32 > when something hangs. Otherwise, I'd like to announce discontinuation
33 > of Mercurial support soon.
36 > --
37 > Best regards,
38 > Michał Górny