From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stage1 and dependencies
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:12:59
1 On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 03:06:52PM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > Issue #1: Ignoring dependencies
3 > The "cleaning" of the vardb to trick portage is IMO a bad thing. There is
4 > obviously enough in a stage 1 to be able to build up all of system, but
5 > according to the data portage it is impossible. This then requires a hack as
6 > indicated above to attempt the merge anyway. However, this hack affects users
7 > of installed systems as well as portage will go ahead and attempt a
8 > compilation that is guaranteed to fail.
9 What's your solution for this?
10
11 > Issue #2: Lack of dependency information
12 > Looking at the above, linux-headers doesn't need bzip2 to unpack, ncompress
13 > and db don't need glibc to build and almost nothing needs gcc to compile. It
14 > gets much worse when doing emerge -ep world. If it's too much of a PITA to
15 > fix this for all packages, portage could ensure that all of system is
16 > installed before anything else, but this needs to be 100% explicit for the
17 > base system. I don't believe it's as difficult as it sounds - a few eclasses
18 > such as bz2files, csource, cppsource, etc should be sufficient. However,
19 > without accurate information, parallel emerges are just a daydream.
20 I've got no objections to putting the correct information into the tree,
21 but portage needs to be able to handle circular dependancies much better
22 first. One other glaring problem in your listing is sys-devel/make. One
23 other thing that will bite at some points is the things that some
24 upstream developers put into their configure scripts, that are decidedly
25 not always present on a system (perl and rpm to name the worst offenders
26 I've seen). If you can tell me I won't run into any problems by adding
27 in the deps for virtual/libc virtual/cc sys-devel/make etc into my
28 packages, I'll go around and correct them now.
29
30 virtual/cc is something I think should exist, as some people want to use
31 dev-lang/icc or dev-lang/ccc instead of sys-devel/gcc.
32
33 Also, where does the adding of dependancies stop? Eg I have something
34 that uses kernel-headers and glibc, so do I just specify glibc and
35 ignore kernel-headers as that's needed by glibc?
38 Robin Hugh Johnson
39 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
40 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
41 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
42 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85