From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE-flag gnome-keyring isn't accurate anymore
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 21:36:23
1 Hi! I've noticed that the gnome-keyring use-flag is not accurate
2 anymore for most packages. The only ebuilds with that flag that depend
3 on gnome-base/gnome-keyring seem to be[1] sys-auth/pambase and
4 mate-base/mate-session-manager.
5 All others depend on app-crypt/libsecret, which depends on
6 virtual/secret-service.
7 virtual/secret-service currently depends on gnome-base/gnome-keyring or
8 app-admin/keepassxc and KSecretService will be added too once upstream
9 is ready.
10
11 That's confusing for users of a secret service provider other than
12 gnome-keyring, so I propose we find a new use-flag.
13
14 x11-plugins/wmudmount already uses “secret” and
15 mate-extra/mate-power-manager uses “libsecret”.
16
17 I think “secret” may be too generic and “libsecret” is not ideal in case
18 an implemention comes along that is named differently. How about
19 “secret-service”?
20
21 Previously discussed in <https://bugs.gentoo.org/829730>.
22
23 Kind regards, tastytea
24
25 [1] I did a rather naive search with
26 `grep -Er 'gnome-keyring\?.*gnome-keyring' \
27 $(portageq get_repo_path / gentoo)`
30 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
31 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.