From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Minor arches (was: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 13:06:08
1 >>>>> On Sun, 15 Sep 2013, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > I didn't really get any response to this one way or another. At the
4 > last council meeting a majority of the votes were in favor of
5 > delaying taking action, so this is back on the agenda.
6
7 > I have yet to see either of the following on this list:
8 > 1. Specific examples of bugs where a minor arch is making a
9 > maintainer's life difficult. Please post if you have them.
10 > 2. Members of these arch teams posting here committing to either
11 > stabilize new versions or unkeyword old versions in a timely manner.
12
13 > The responses to either of these (or lack thereof) are likely to
14 > influence my vote at the meeting. Note, I'm not interested in mere
15 > comments that people want an arch to stay stable supported (which
16 > I've seen plenty of). I'm interested in COMMITMENT to be
17 > stable-supportable (which I've seen none of). The lack of the
18 > latter is what is going to cause a package to be dropped - I'd love
19 > to see every arch that exists stable-supported on Gentoo, along with
20 > world peace. This is a volunteer distro - in general you get the
21 > features you pitch in to help deliver, and if you're depending on a
22 > minor arch you REALLY need to step up as there aren't many of you
23 > out there. That said, I would like specific examples of cases where
24 > dropping a minor arch would have helped - the onus is on those
25 > wanting the status quo changed to present a case.
26
27 [Crossposting to -dev. Replies should go to -project if possible.]
28
29 Again, no reply. I suspect the outcome of today's vote will be that
30 stable keywords for the architectures in question (alpha, ia64, m68k,
31 s390, sh, sparc) should be dropped.
32
33 Arch teams, last chance to speak up.
34