From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: c++14 global USE flag
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 15:57:56
1 Peter Stuge posted on Sat, 25 Apr 2015 17:23:17 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 >> The way gcc is dealing with this is that it is NOT bumping the soname
5 >> so we can get libraries linking aginst libstdc++.so with the wrong abi
6 >> and you get breakage.
7 > ..
8 >> I'm not sure how to solve this one
9 >
10 > Is there any alternative to implementing the different sonames in
11 > Gentoo, if upstream doesn't want to do it?
12
13 How much of the toolchain is C++? Back in the day, gcc wasn't stable for
14 C++, but the toolchain didn't use it, so standard procedure if you
15 upgraded gcc was an emerge empty-tree @world (sometimes with an emerge
16 empty-tree @system first).
17
18 It was a bit of a pain, but gentooers accepted it as just how it was
19 done, often delaying the gcc upgrade until they had time to do the full
20 rebuild.
21
22 And that was back when emerge empty-tree @world could typically take a
23 couple days. What with faster machines these days, it might take a
24 morning...
25
26 So I really don't see it as a big problem, unless of course critical bits
27 of the toolchain are C++. I guess paludis is, but that's its problem,
28 and presumably they have workarounds. Just upgrade gcc and do the same
29 empty-tree rebuild we all learned to accept as part of the program back
30 when it took six or eight times as long...
31
32 Of course, one thing that could make the process faster would be if C++
33 based packages were marked some way. Then have the PM hook that mark and
34 only rebuild those packages, instead of the entire tree. Tho then you
35 miss out on the improvements for C packages, etc, with those improvements
36 presumably being why you'd upgrade in the first place, so for major gcc
37 bumps, a full empty-tree rebuild has some merit, even if it weren't
38 forced for C++ compatibility.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman