From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] recruitment process
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 13:54:10
1 On 03/04/2010 14:40, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 3 April 2010 13:33, Richard Freeman<rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I really think that the Gentoo recruitment process needs improvement. Right
4 >> now it seems like a LOT of effort is required both to become a Gentoo dev
5 >> and to help somebody become a Gentoo dev. That means we have great people,
6 >> but not many of them.
7 >
8 > I agree. So what can we do to improve this process?
9 >
10 > I myself am not fond of the quizzes, and from what I've seen most
11 > recruits find them tedious as well. It can be quite demotivating,
12 > maybe because it reminds one too much of highschool or something.
13 > I took a long time myself to finish them, and that wouldn't have
14 > been necessary, as my mentors ensured me I was ready to become a
15 > dev. And I see the same thing happening with some of my own recruits.
16 > They can be ready, but just find the quizzes a chore.
17 >
18 > So I think we need to rethink how to do this. What I have found very
19 > helpful is to have my recruits working on actual ebuilds. The
20 > sunrise project is ideally qualified to mold ebuild editors into
21 > shape. Working on official overlays such as qting-edge and/or doing
22 > proxy maintenance is also very helpful.
23 >
24 > Recruiters (with some additional manpower) could make a list of
25 > technical issues that recruits need to be aware of, and then gather
26 > a number of ebuilds that display these problems and let recruits
27 > correct some of these, under guidance of their mentors. This may
28 > possibly be more fun and closer to the actual work that is required
29 > of developers.
30 >
31 > Of course this doesn't address the organizational side of things, so
32 > we need to come up with something else for that.
33 >
34 > Another problem I see is that our documentation seems to be scattered
35 > all over the place. I propose that we make at least one portal page
36 > for (prospective) developers that will link them to all the resources
37 > they might need. It also means our existing documentation needs to
38 > be brought and kept up to date.
39 >
40 > Are there any other ideas on how to improve our recruitment process?
43 I suggested a while ago that you should have recruitment drives and
44 recruitment days. Set aside a day where a few devs can answer any
45 questions about what it takes to be a developer - the skills required,
46 the time that needs to be set aside, the behavior expected and goals
47 that developers aspire to.
48
49 Set up some threads on the forums, a channel on irc, a list like
50 gentoo-recruitment and a FAQ on the front page of the website.
51
52 Armed with a list of where developers are spread too thinly, a
53 willingness to answer questions (no matter how stupid you believe them
54 to be) and some prior organisation then i see no reason why Gentoo
55 wouldn't get an immediate influx of at least 20 well-qualified
56 developers and more that are willing to give their time and limited
57 knowlege to help out
58
59 "If you build it, they will come"