From: Zach Welch <zwelch@g.o>
To: Sylvain <asm8@×××××××.fr>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2 uclibc questions : (un)masked / new use flag ?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 21:08:02
1 Sylvain wrote:
2 > Hello !
3 >
4 > My questions are in the title :-)
5 >
6 > 1) What about unmasking uclibc ebuild ? Did someone use it ? If so,
7 > are you happy with it, so that it would be possible to unmask it. I
8 > didn't find anything related to it on bugs.gentoo, and very few
9 topics
10 > in forums.
11
12 uCLibc should not be unmasked, and I was somewhat surprised to learn it
13 was in portage in the first place. Please see the following page:
14
15 http://cvs.gentoo.org/~zwelch/uclibc.html
16
17 which summarizes the state of uClibc (in the context of the larger
18 Gentoo Embedded project) as I currently can tell it. I look forward to
19 any comments or corrections for that page, or any other on the site.
20
21 [[ more reply below ]]
22 > 2) Maybe i should submit a bug for that, but i first want to know if
23 > i'm the only person interested in that : i speak about a uclibc use
24 > flag. Packages in particular which could benefit from that are of
25 > course
26 busybox,
27 > but also udhcp, and maybe others ? A package using this flag would
28 > change the PATH variable to /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/bin/:$PATH in
29 > the environnement of econf and emake function.
32 The above page explains why a USE flag is not quite the right solution,
33 and provides a suggested alternative. The new gcc-config should handle
34 the installation of and dynamic switching to uClibc-based compilers and
35 cross-compilers; I personally have looked at this while rewriting
36 gcc-config, so it will be supported - eventually.
37
38 Don't let this discourage you though: I will be posting a full
39 announcment of the embedded project shortly, and your continued interest
40 with uClibc could help drive that portion of the project forward.
41
42 Cheers,
43
44 Zach Welch