From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new developers' keyword requests
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 06:41:45
1 On 05/20/2016 09:47 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 >> To make sure I understand what you're getting at, are you saying some
4 >> devs get on board and then request to add keywords to packages that they
5 >> already maintain?
6 >
7 > No, you've misunderstood.
8 >
9 > He's saying people add new packages and then speculatively add
10 > keywords for a bunch of architectures that they haven't tested. This
11 > causes unnecessary packages to be keyworded on archs that don't want
12 > them and can hardly afford the extra load.
13 >
14 > The appropriate thing to do when adding a new package is to add only
15 > keywords you can test and maintain (likely just ~amd64), and then file
16 > a keyword request to ask arch teams to keyword the package if
17 > appropriate, which leaves the choice to them.
20 Ah, I see. In that case I'm in full agreement. We're taught during the
21 mentoring/quizzing process that we don't keyword what we haven't tested.
22 That's one of the most basic "rules".
25 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
26 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
27 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6