From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:00:59
1 On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:33:06 +0200 Alexander Berntsen wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 15/04/15 15:02, Peter Stuge wrote:
6 > > the threshold to become a developer with write access to the
7 > > gentoo repo is very high
8 > LOL. No. It's way too low, given our review-less workflow in which any
9 > dev can do essentially whatever they want.
10
11 The only net results from strict review workflow (when each commit
12 of each dev must be reviewed and approved by at least N devs) are
13 tons of bikeshedding, real quality improvement is marginal, because
14 people are working in different areas anyway. And if you will
15 consider, that strict review will require N more times effort and
16 spent time, actual quality of the tree will drop almost N times,
17 because number of man hours spent on Gentoo is approximately
18 constant with the same number of devs.
19
20 Really, I'm tired of that review bikeshedding and trolling.
21 Before continuing talks like that take a list of paper, do some
22 calculations, think them over.
23
24 And do not point at the Linux kernel — they have ~80% paid
25 developers, so they have resources for that kind of workflow.
26 We are volunteers here, so we don't.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Andrew Savchenko