From: "Raúl Porcel" <armin76@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: About current ppc/ppc64 status
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 08:52:36
1 On 07/26/14 19:33, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > On 07/27/2014 03:19 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> If an arch team isn't going to honor a stable request, shouldn't they
4 >> remove themselves from it and say so?
5 >>
6 >> Also, if an arch team does that, does that mean we don't have to file
7 >> stable requests for that arch on future versions of the package?
8 >
9 > When armin did stabilisation for minor archs in the past, he took the
10 > opportunity to evaluate whether it was still useful to have the package
11 > stable. In many cases for small random packages, stable keywords were
12 > dropped to reduce future workload. I always thought it was a pretty good
13 > strategy.
17 Indeed! The thing was that a lot of the packages were keyworded and
18 marked stable back in the day where the arch was more popular.
19
20 But almost all arches except amd64/x86/arm are getting less and less
21 popular:
22
23 alpha: no new hardware in more than 8+ years
24 hppa: being phased out IIRC, and no new workstations(ie, graphics/sound)
25 in 5+ years
26 ia64: no new workstations in 10 years, new servers are expensive
27 ppc*: new workstations are expensive
28 sparc: no new workstations in 7+ years, new servers expensive
29
30 One of the reasons they are being killed, IMHO, its that the power
31 consumption isn't worth, and an amd64 machine is pretty much more
32 powerful, has more cores, and cheaper and has a lot less power consumption.
33
34 My Sun Blade 1000 (workstation) uses 225W idling, my amd64 workstation
35 uses 100W at full power or so. And the amd64 has way more cores and more
36 performance. And let's not talk about the heat...
37
38 Besides there's software like firefox and gnome3 that doesn't work in
39 sparc due to unaligned accesses.
40
41 Debian announced some months ago that they're dropping sparc support as
42 well. Right now debian doesn't support, officially, alpha, hppa and sparc.
43
44 Obviously ppc* has a lot of work because its the most keyworded arch
45 behind amd64 and x86.