From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:08:17
1 On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:52:55 -0500 znmeb@×××××××.net wrote:
2 | Well ... someone's gotta step in and say "No!", so I will. I've just
3 | witnessed and participated in a semi-debate on the value of devoting
4 | effort to Gentoo/CygWin. If Gentoo/CygWin isn't worth the effort to
5 | maintain, why on Earth are the developers wasting time on maintaining
6 | a package that does absolutely nothing but *syntax coloring* in a
7 | *single* editor for a language with a questionable name that is an
8 | 8-instruction Turing complete environment limited to a 30 kilobyte
9 | address space?
10
11 Replying to this email is taking me more time than it took to build that
12 package and get it working correctly. All things considered, I doubt
13 that this one's going to be high maintenance, since the syntax file is
14 complete already.
15
16 | Does Gentoo support the free APL derivative A Plus? How's that Axiom
17 | package coming along? How about ebuilds for Common Lisp Music and
18 | Common Music Notation? The x86-64 arch work -- that's all done, right?
19 | The GLSA integration with Portage?
20
21 Tell you what. Buy me an amd64 box and I'll help out on amd64 arch work.
22 As for the others, I'm not in the relevant herds and have no interest in
23 them, so the only way I'd be working on those would be if you paid me to
24 do so.
25
26 | I'm not going to leave Gentoo because it supports vim syntax coloring
27 | for brainfuck and Fedora and Debian don't. And I'm not going to leave
28 | Gentoo if Debian supports it and Gentoo doesn't either. I simply think
29 | that just because something is easy doesn't necessarily mean it should
30 | be done. In this particular case, rather than ask if anyone
31 | **objects** to the package, let me ask "Is there a *compelling* reason
32 | why it **should** be in the Portage tree?" --
33
34 Yes. There're at least four Gentoo users *that I know personally* who
35 will be using this. So far as I know, I've never met anyone who uses
36 clisp on Gentoo.
39 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
40 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
41 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm