From: Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Depending on clang as a compiler
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:26:37
1 Hi!
2
3 First of all, I'm not a Gentoo dev but a proud Gentoo user and also a
4 developer of a piece of software that's present in portage tree under
5 app-lc/ category, and Gentoo is kind of tier-1 distro for me.
6
7 I'm currently considering using C++14 in my project, particularly
8 features that aren't supported by gcc 4.8 and are barely supported by
9 4.9 [1], but the standard is already fully supported by clang 3.4 [2].
10 Thus I wonder how bad is actually depending on recent clang in
11 ebuilds?
12
13 I ask because depending on the outcome of the discussion I'll either
14 start playing around with C++14 in, say, only new modules that aren't
15 present in the tree yet (most likely I guess) but are good candidates
16 for inclusion, or postpone that until gcc like 4.10 is released (less
17 likely but most "safe" I guess), or happily start using all new nifty
18 C++14 features in the existing codebase as well (extremely unlikely
19 :)).
20
21 [1] http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx1y.html
22 [2] http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html under C++1y section