From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 23:00:21
1 On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 04:43:28PM -0500, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 2013-12-03, at 4:11 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I would like to add a virtual/network-manager package to @system which
4 > > has the following rdepend settings:
5 > >
6 > > RDEPEND=" || (
7 > > net-misc/netifrc
8 > > >=sys-apps/openrc-0.12[newnet]
9 > > net-misc/badvpn
10 > > net-misc/dhcpcd
11 > > net-misc/netctl
12 > > net-misc/NetworkManager
13 > > net-misc/wicd )"
14 > >
15 > > Does anyone see an issue with setting it up this way?
16 > >
17 > > William
20 > well, there is the issue where dhcpcd being installed (which is common
21 > for netifrc support) is going to allow netifrc to be cleaned...
22 > similar for NM and Wicd I expect, if those aren't in @world ....
23
24 Please correct me if I am wrong. You can install NM or wicd and
25 remove netifrc and have a working system, correct?
26
27 Dhcpcd can be run as a standalone service or per interface. In
28 standalone mode, the default is to automatically configure any unconfigured
29 interfaces it finds on your system, but this can be configured (see
30 dhcpcd.conf (5)). So, I'm wondering what the advantage of running dhcpcd
31 per interface is?
32
33 William