From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Lastrites: dev-ada/cbind, net-dialup/dtrace, net-nds/lat, app-pda/jpilot-mail, net-dialup/drdsl, dev-util/insight, app-laptop/configure-trackpoint, x11-misc/lxmed, dev-util/ketchup, media-gfx/skencil... and others
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 03:57:29
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrites: dev-ada/cbind, net-dialup/dtrace, net-nds/lat, app-pda/jpilot-mail, net-dialup/drdsl, dev-util/insight, app-laptop/configure-trackpoint, x11-misc/lxmed, dev-util/ketchup, media-gfx/skencil... and others by "William L. Thomson Jr."
1 William L. Thomson Jr. posted on Sat, 29 Oct 2016 20:48:33 -0400 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > Its a slippery slope Gentoo is going down. The lack of man power causes
5 > many things to go un-maintained. I will not comment on tree-cleaning
6 > being right or wrong. Essentially what is taking place at a high level
7 > is packages over all are being whittled down package by package due to a
8 > lack of man power.
9 >
10 > Eventually it could reach some equilibrium that the amount of packages
11 > is reduced to match the amount of man power to maintain. However it also
12 > runs the risk of another downward spiral side effect.
13
14 AFAIK, "whittling down" is an illusion, likely due to the fact that tree-
15 clean candidate packages are announced in threads like this, while new
16 packages are simply added without fanfare.
17
18 At least, in my decidedly informal and less-than-rigorous tracking,
19 pretty consistently whenever I've actually checked the weekly package
20 add/remove list as posted right here to -dev, the count of added packages
21 regularly exceeds the count of removed packages.
22
23 For anyone who cares enough to check, of course, it should be quite
24 possible to either total up the lists from the weekly add/remove notices
25 for a year, or to simply grab a historical tree from somewhere, even just
26 the first git import tree, and check the number of packages there against
27 the number in a current tree.
28
29 But it is my decidedly not rigorously tested but generally observed
30 opinion that the number of packages in the tree is actually going up, not
31 down. If that is indeed the case, then what we're seeing is simply the
32 arguably healthy full circulation of packages, both into the tree as new
33 and modern packages gain interest, and out of the tree as old and
34 outdated packages lose interest until there's very few if any that even
35 care about them any more.
38 OTOH, if it's still building and generally working, has no open security
39 bugs, and isn't being removed due to removal of dependencies (which would
40 seem to be what the packages currently under discussion are up against,
41 they /may/ build against a newer dep, but without a maintainer or anyone
42 else actually caring enough to bother testing and the old dep being
43 removed...), general policy /has/ been that it stays in the tree until
44 such time as one of those test factors fails and no one cares enough to
45 fix it. /Then/ it should be treecleaned. And I've been known to post
46 objections to working packages being treecleaned based on exactly that.
47
48 But with the dep being removed here, and no one (yet) interested enough
49 in them to bother testing with the possible new dep and confirming they
50 work, in this case, yes, I'd say it's time to remove... of course
51 assuming that remains the case for the length of the 30-day notice and
52 masking period, that of course being the very reason /for/ such a public
53 notice and masking, in case someone /does/ care enough about it to
54 volunteer to do that testing and confirm that the proposed substitute dep
55 actually works.
60 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman