From: Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 13:01:58
1 On 17/06/2022 18.27, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 12:26:43PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >>>>>>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022, Florian Schmaus wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>>> Judging from the gentoo-dev@ mailing list discussion [1] about EGO_SUM,
6 >>>>>> where some voices where in agreement that EGO_SUM has its raison d'ĂȘtre,
7 >>>>>> while there where no arguments in favor of eventually removing EGO_SUM,
8 >>>>>> I hereby propose to undeprecate EGO_SUM.
9 >>>>>>
10 >>>>>> 1: https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/1a64a8e7694c3ee11cd48a58a95f2faa
11 >>
12 >>>> Can this be done without requesting changes to package managers?
13 >>
14 >>> What is 'this' here?
15 >>
16 >> Undeprecating EGO_SUM.
17 >>
18 >>> The patchset does not make changes to any package manager, just the
19 >>> go-module eclass.
20 >>
21 >>> Note that this is not about finding about an alternative to dependency
22 >>> tarballs. It is just about re-allowing EGO_SUM in addition to
23 >>> dependency tarballs for packaging Go software in Gentoo.
24 >
25 > Like I said on my earlier reply, there have been packages that break
26 > using EGO_SUM.
27
28 Those packages can't obviously use EGO_SUM, but this should *not* mean
29 that we generally ban EGO_SUM.
32 > The most pressing concern about EGO_SUM is that it can make portage
33 > crash because of the size of SRC_URI, so it definitely should not be
34 > preferred over dependency tarballs.
35
36 I think an approach like my posted patch, which makes go-modules.eclass
37 invoke 'die' if A exceeds a certain threshold, should make developers in
38 most situations aware that it is time to switch their package to use a
39 dependency tarball instead of EGO_SUM.
40
41 The remaining situations are the ones where a package initially exceeds
42 the MAX_ARG_STRLEN limit, and where a certain USE-flag combination
43 causes the limit to be exceeded. The former should not be real issue, as
44 such ebuilds should never been committed, as they could never work. The
45 later can be solved by exhaustive testing of all possible USE flag
46 combinations.
47
48 - Flow