From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for new dependency syntax
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:09:25
1 On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:52:21 +0200
2 Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 07:12:20AM +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > This looks really great :-).
8 > >
9 > > One note: what about conflicting/incompatible packages? Will/should we
10 > have a
11 > > syntax for saying, this package must not be installed?
12 > > Is that what happens when I say !foo[...] (as distinct from
13 > foo[!...])?
14
15 Instead of using ! why not add a CONFLICTS = " foo bar baz " line.
16 Debian has Conflicts, Requires, Suggests and a few others.
17 RedHat has Conflicts, Requires, PreRequires etc..
18 ("it" below refers to the dependency)
19 Requires means it is required to *run*
20 PreRequires means it must be installed and config'd for the package
21 to install
25 Jon Nelson
26 jnelson@×××××××.net
27 C and Python Programmer