From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 23:39:25
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 02:52:48 +0000 (UTC) Duncan wrote:
4 > Meanwhile, lest the point have been missed in my previous post, I really
5 > do believe gentoo can and should reach out to other gentoo-based distros,
6 > and all distros in the community can and should be directly supporting
7 > each other and referring users to each other when they're a better fit
8 > for the specific use-case. It's possible some may not want it (IOW ask
9 > first), but for those that do, I could even envision the early sections
10 > of the handbook where people are choosing what they want and how they
11 > want to install, linking directly to these sister distros both as quick-
12 > install methods and for those who sort of like the idea of gentoo, but
13 > aren't quite ready to jump into the full from-source thing just yet, tho
14 > they might want an easy way to get ready so they can do it later if they
15 > decide to. At least sabayon (and I'd suppose calculate as well) already
16 > encourages those who wish to, to switch directly to gentoo, and both
17 > mentions and links gentoo resources in its documentation, and it'd be
18 > very nice if gentoo was willing to return the favor. After all, we're on
19 > the same team, and as I've pointed out to other users in the past,
20 > there's no lost face in simply deciding gentoo isn't right for you at
21 > this point, and that some other distro is a better match. If we can
22 > point them at a gentoo-based distro, they'll at least still be in the
23 > ecosystem, and who knows, when their needs change, they may well be
24 > back. =:^)
25
26 This is reasonable and fair enough. Feel free to submit required
27 changes to the wiki[1]. I'm not sure if users are allowed to change
28 this article, but you can always open a discussion page with
29 proposed changes[2].
30
31 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
32 [2]https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Special%3AWhatLinksHere&target=Template%3AInfoBox+talk+open&namespace=561